The Church of St John the Evangelist Colchester was built in 1863 by Arthur Blomfield in the Decorated style. It is principally of red brick with yellow and blue brick and stone window tracery. It consists of a chancel and nave surmounted by a small bellcot at the west end. The chancel and its fittings and part of the nave were built with money collected in memory of J.T. Round. It has a boarded and tiled roof.
In the late 1960’s and into the 1970’s, the modern housing estate of St John’s was built and a further estate of Highwoods was developed in the 1980’s. From 1980 under the leadership of Rev Brian Nicholson, the numbers of the congregation steadily grew. Mainly through the generous giving from the church family, the church was significantly extended in 1987.
Following continuing growth in church membership, St Luke’s was planted, meeting weekly in the community centre on Highwoods.
In 2012 the church undertook a million pound plus building project, replacing our old pre-fab church hall with a new multi purpose Community Centre.